By Murray Bromberg
This up-to-date vocabulary-building publication offers the fundamental center of phrases that scholars at middle-school and better degrees needs to recognize and be capable to use fluently for educational luck. those phrases additionally represent crucial vocabulary for ESL scholars and test-takers, in addition to others who converse English as their moment language. The authors current a chain of short word-building classes, every one introducing 12 new phrases which are offered in pattern sentences and brief articles. Fill-in-the-blanks routines support scholars degree their word-building development. educated with transparent but easy definitions and examples, readers will locate their vocabulary has more desirable dramatically.
Read or Download 504 Absolutely Essential Words PDF
Best language & grammar books
This abridged model of Radford's Minimalist Syntax: Exploring the constitution of English deals a concise, obtainable creation to present syntactic conception, drawing at the key techniques of Chomsky's Minimalist software. Assuming very little previous grammatical wisdom, it leads scholars via various themes in English syntax, starting at an undemanding point and progressing in phases in the direction of extra complicated fabric.
E-book through Haffner, Sebastian
The corpus-based experiences during this quantity discover biomedical examine writing in English from numerous views. The articles during this assortment delve into the lexicographic matters concerned about construction an digital database of collocations and lexical bundles, provide perception at the instructing and studying of prototypical multiword devices of that means in biomedical discourse, and examine written medical English throughout the lens of such various fields as phrasing, metaphor, gender and discourse research.
The foreign Workshop at the Semantics/Syntax of Possessive structures was once held on the collage of Massachusetts, Amherst on might 6-8, 2002. This quantity collects 22 of the papers provided on the workshop.
- Principles of Generative Phonology: An Introduction
- Bilingualism and the individual
- Modality, Subjectivity, and Semantic Change: A Cross-Linguistic Perspective
- The Dyirbal Language of North Queensland
- Die Wolke: Die Wolke
Extra resources for 504 Absolutely Essential Words
Wary (war' e) on one's guard against danger or trickery; cautious* a. Marilyn's mother told her to be wary of strangers. b. After Orlando had been the victim of a cheat, he was wary of those who said they wanted to help him. c. Living in a polluted* city makes you wary of the air you breathe. 4. aware (a war') knowing; realizing a. * b. It was some time before the police became aware of the brawl* that was taking place on the street. c. One way to gain knowledge* is to be aware of everything around you.
9. 10. 11. 12. The massive* tree on the corner was a to traffic. At parties, the shy girl would being asked to dance. My uncle has a to repeat the same story over and over again. The modest man used to his own strength. No person can ever in all things he does. Being is far better than being stubborn. We went to the beach on occasions last summer. Playing with dolls is traditionally* a pastime. Only the brightest students were invited to for the prize. Carole was ten years old before her parents finally let her a horse.
The former champion was challenged* to compete for the tennis title. b. The runner was reluctant* to compete in front of his parents for the first time. c. When the amateur* became a pro he had to compete against better men. 5. dread ( dred) look forward to with fear; fear greatly; causing great fear a. The poor student dreaded going to school each morning. b. He had a dread feeling about the challenge* he was about to face. c. I dread going into that deserted house. 30 6. masculine (mas' ku lin) of man; male a.
- Download The Information Diet: A Case for Conscious Consumption by Clay A. Johnson PDF
- Download Introduction to Linguistics by Edward Stabler PDF